Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Week 2: Next time I'm showering with my gun...

This week we got our guns. It was also our first week that we worked outside our base.

We were all to learn how to use our weapons in the most accurate and consistent way. We call this "zero-ing" in our guns. This means that our shots are all hitting the same exact spot throughout every shot. We spent hours shooting and practicing drills. The drills were hard since they involved dropping down on rocks and then crawling on them. Lets just say my arms and legs are all black and blue...

The shooting involved taking 5 bullets and shooting at a target 25 meters away. Then we took the distance away from the center and shifting the aiming devices on the gun till we were perfect or close to it. Also we measured the distance between the 2 furthest bullets to see who has the best shot. It took me 10 times to finely zero in my weapon. I shot way off most the time but the last time it was 1.5 centimeters between bullets which was second best in my unit.

We came back from the outside straight into chag (last day of Passover) which was nice because we got to rest up.

Tonight we had a history lesson on the was of independence. I have to say that sitting where we were all sitting, a couple hundreds soldiers with our guns, learning about what we're fighting for really gave me the chills...

After that we had a half hour to get ready for bed. As I went to shower I left my gun in my room and told my friend to watch it. The problem was I had no time to return to my friend when we were called to attention. I had to run from the shower to where we were standing when I realized I forgot my gun. I ran back to my room. As luck would have it, all 3 of my commanders were standing there asking me were my weapon was. So I said my friend had it. They told me they saw him and he didn't have it so I told them another name and they told me he also didn't have it. So i gave a third name. They were not convinced by my guess work and asked me what if they had taken it? I basically thought they were screwing with me... My commander led me to my unit and luckily my friend had my gun. All was well....for now.

I'm laying in bed with my gun under my pillow going to sleep. Tomorrow we're finishing our zeroing in. Can't wait!"

4 comments:

  1. wow... sounds really interesting... you...

    Zionist occupier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, that gun thing. you'll get used to it. think of it as more sacred, at this time of your life, than tzitzit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connections Israel, a Jerusalem based resource for Jewish Schools and Communities Chutz L'Aretz has a project to connect Jews Chutz with Jews here in Israel.

    We just completed our 11th year of Operation Purim: Adopt an IDF Unit.

    Please connect with me. We are interested in adopting your unit.

    Hillel@ConnectionsIsrael.com
    02-623-6893

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO excited I found your blog but there's only two posts :(
    I'm sure you're busy but if you need any encouragement to write, know that there's a very appreciate eager reader here :)

    G-d bless you and thank you for protecting me!

    ReplyDelete